Saturday, May 3, 2008

A goldmine for you folks at home

I enjoyed stumbling upon this, in John Gross's New York Review of Books piece about a new tome by John Updike; it's a quotation from (can you believe it?) - The Cambridge Companion to John Updike (2006):

"In the introduction to that book... we are promised that one of the chapters in it will chart the shift in Updike's portrayal of American history from 'a discourse grounded in naive facticity to a discourse that, as problematized by postmodern theory, admits to history's tainted indeterminacy.'"

That's one handy bit of wording, there...

1 comment:

mgushuedc said...

I was trying to think of something clever to say, but all I could think was: oy.

And for some reason it made me think of this (maybe the cinderblock nature of the quote you stumbled on):

After we came out of the church, we stood talking for some time together of Bishop Berkeley's ingenious sophistry to prove the nonexistence of matter, and that every thing in the universe is merely ideal. I observed, that though we are satisfied his doctrine is not true, it is impossible to refute it. I never shall forget the alacrity with which Johnson answered, striking his foot with mighty force against a large stone, till he rebounded from it -- "I refute it thus."

Boswell’s Life of Johnson