Saturday, November 15, 2008

Philip Whalen overcomes theory!

I had been very worried about theories and philosophies and orthodoxies; I now perceived that I had had far too many; so many, that I had been separated from my own senses, my own real experience of the natural world. (It took a great deal of experimentation and study and thought to find out the true nature and function of my various senses and faculties.) The impulse to write had overthrown all my theories as well as the question of "Where does it come from?" -- Philip Whalen

... once aesthetic activity breaks free of service to church and state, and once (as is sometimes the case) it steps away from the marketplace, its raison d'etre is no longer obvious. One of the frequent justifications of poetry under these conditions is to say that it has only a private relevance, but another frequent justification is to claim some large-scale political relevance. Perhaps paradoxically, it is often the least overtly "engaged" kind of writing for which these claims are made. This, I think, is connected to the idea that such writing represents a fundamental rethinking of things, rather than an attempt to accomplish particular political goal (in the "poets against the war" vein). -- Robert Archambeau, at Bullets of Love .

2 comments:

PJ Nolan said...

Hey Don, just found your blog via your comment over on Ms Baroque's blog. I've been enjoying your Poetry mag podcasts on my commute over the last year - interesting, educational and inspiring. Keep up the good work! Hope Heaney / Driscoll make the podcast too! cheers, PJ

Don Share said...

Hey, PJ, great to hear from you, and thanks for the comment! Your kind words are truly appreciated. That's a great idea about heaving S. and D. on the podcast - I'll look into it!

All best, - Don