Monday, June 15, 2009

The fragment, which has ruled poetry for the past one hundred years, has left the building.

Hoagland, Hirschfield, Beeder, Simic, Cairns, Beasley, Poch, Hodgen, Levine, Dlugos, Mlinko, Boss, Bottoms, Cotler, Lehnert, Eybers, Sheffield, Leithauser, Hicok, McFadden, Sarah, Merwin, Labbe, Clare, Marchant, Allen, Greenbaum, Goldbarth

-&-

Flarf and Conceptual Poetry , a special section edited and introduced by Kenneth Goldsmith (whose words title this blogpost) featuring: Jordan Davis, Mel Nichols, Sharon Mesmer, K. Silem Mohammad, Nada Gordon, Drew Gardner, Caroline Bergvall, Christian Bök, Robert Fitterman, Kenneth Goldsmith, Craig Dworkin, Vanessa Place, and poetry comix ("Am I Emo?") by Gary Sullivan...

-&-

Poets We've Known: Donald Revell on Robert Creeley; Rebekah Bloyd on Miroslav Holub; John Koethe on Ashbery, O'Hara, Koch and others; Katha Pollitt on Elizabeth Bishop; and Conor O'Callaghan on Michael Hartnett...

-&-

The notorious Clive James on Dunstan Thompson; Daisy Fried on John Milton and the nipple Nazi of Northampton...

-&-

I Belonged to Yvor Winters ("I am one of the best-known poets and critics now living, and I have a pretty high reputation for this kind of teaching. I have taught a great many exceptionally brilliant students. I am also an Airedale fancier. In my capacity as a teacher, I correspond, I suppose, to a professional handler at a dog show... I find myself charmed by the intelligent young, just as I am charmed by beautiful puppies.")

-- July/August issue of Poetry

6 comments:

Seth Abramson said...

Can't wait! Looks to be an amazing issue!

--S.

Michael Robbins said...

Oh, great! So what am I supposed to shore against my ruin?!

Henry Gould said...

Are there any poets in this issue with more than 2 names?

I received my copy today. I looked at it. I realized immediately that I would have loved Flarf, I would have tried to BE a Flarfist, when I was 18. I'm sure many 18-yr-olds feel this way even now.

Charles Simic has written better poems. But he works a vein that has died out for everyone else. An emotional-imagistic dimension no longer available.

Michael Robbins said...

That certainly seems to be the target demographic.

Don Share said...

Heh!

the unreliable narrator said...

It's a MAGNIFICENT issue, is what it is. I should know, I been sick in bed for two days now and it's kept me thoroughly entertained. Nervy and funny and with several enviably spry poems. I only wish I had belonged to Yvor Winters meself. Thanks for the nimble editing, Mister Engagé.