Monday, August 10, 2009

The antinomian pie is cut


"Most of XXXXXXX's confusions are due to his attempt to correlate his political system with his taste. His political system is consistent with itself; we agree with it unreservedly or we agree with it not at all. His taste is inconsistent with itself wherever it has been made to conform with his political system: it becomes a nagging, expedient right, lacking the proper indifference of taste and the proper consistency of a political attitude. It is therefore obviously futile to treat with XXXXXXXX on matters of taste."

11 comments:

Rachel Loden said...

Hmm -- solve for X!

Don Share said...

And Y, too, as I ("I") didn't attribute the quotation, either.

Rachel Loden said...

That too was noted -- and I hope to stumble on the rest someday....

Don Share said...

It's nice to hear from you, Rachel!

Folks might like to see this nice blogpost on a recent reading she gave:

http://stevenfama.blogspot.com/2009/08/reading-report.html

Michael Robbins said...

Hmm. I know you've been on a Riding kick lately. Bingo? But who is Y? Winters?

Michael Robbins said...

Who is X, I mean. P we know is Porter.

Joel Brouwer said...

Orwell could be X or Y!

Bobby said...

Given your earlier post, I'll guess Laura (Riding) Jackson for Y. No idea who X is; it sounds like something you could accuse just about anyone of.

Rachel Loden said...

I'm guessing these are contemporaries, although I could be full of it. But otherwise, what need for X or Y?

I have my own strong hunch about X's identity but that could just be the madness of my own obsessions.

Don, thanks for the welcome and for including that link! Steven Fama, whom I only met on Thursday night, is astonishing -- someone who reads poems because he loves them (imagine), not because he has a dog in the hunt.

Don Share said...

Another one, Rachel, from Harriet's Joel Brouwer:

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/harriet/2009/08/4632/

Rachel Loden said...

Golly. This is a red letter day! Jumpin' Jehoshaphat.