Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Wayne Brown, RIP



I am extremely sad to hear that the Carribean poet and fiction writer, Wayne Brown, has died. We taught together back when I did any teaching, and I admired, respected, and liked him a great deal. Wayne was the only non-British poet to receive the famed Gregory Fellowship in poetry at Leeds University, coinciding with the development of their program in Commonwealth and Postcolonial literatures.

You can read more about him here; and there's an old audio interview here (latter via Tony Eprile).

From "The Witness"

... you hate him, mock him as he moves
among the shrapnel of chipped stones,
the palm trees' tattered flags, the stiff
trunks flung down face in the sand....

Later, on the well-lit train
to a colonial future
narrow as rails, you ask, "Who
Was that stranger by the sea?"

2 comments:

Lyz said...

Wayne was a mentor of mine and I am so happy to have had the chance to work with him.

Brooks Winchell said...

Hi Don,
It's terrible to hear about Wayne. I took a seminar with him on Walcott's "Adam's Song," and he very publicly corrected my ear for iambic pentameter. It was a very humbling experience, and he was a very passionate teacher. I will definitely miss him.