Saturday, October 10, 2009

I think it just supercedes

Q. Did you feel, possibly, that you were writing against something, more than from any model?

A. No, no, no. I don't think one was constantly trying to reject things, but just trying to find out what was right for oneself... I don't think good poetry can be produced in a kind of political attempt to overthrow some existing form. I think it just supercedes. People find a way in which they can say something. "I can't say it that way, what way can I find that will do?". One didn't really bother about the existing modes.

--T.S. Eliot


Joseph Hutchison said...

Interesting that he doesn't use the word "I". That famous impersonality, I suppose....

Archambeau said...

Nice. I mean, the big Oedipal need to overthrow the old does kind of get magnified by a kind of marketing urge (New! Improved! Post-Flarf!). I'm sure Eliot is right -- real writing, including real innovation, does come out of who one really is.

(I snuck that "one" in there for you, Joseph).


Jordan said...

Royalty never does.