Thursday, October 1, 2009

The more personal a poem is, more likely it is to be political, continued

For me, poetry has no point in existing if it's not to be a prompt or aid to political and ethical change. This is not to say that a poem should be political or ethical instruction, but rather that it might engender a dialogue between the poem itself and the reader/listener, between itself and other poems and texts, and between all of these and a broader public (whatever that might be). I see myself as a poet activist - every time I write a poem, it is an act of resistance to the state, the myriad hierarchies of control, and the human urge to conquer our natural surroundings.

-- John Kinsella, forthcoming essay in Poetry magazine


Jordan said...

Everything after "every time" is prompting an intense will to sarcasm in me, which I am fighting with my most powerful sad superior knowing downward look.

Looking forward to the essay, that is.

Don Share said...

Have at it! Or wait till Dec. to see the whole piece. JK, it has to be said, is one fella who lives up to his principles, tho'.

Rauan Klassnik said...

as they say in the backwoods of my head: good luck to him!

J.H. Stotts said...

there are a lot of ways of defining poetry as failure.
the opposite of a poet activist is--what? a poet pacifist.

knott said...

Lord what would their Catullus say

Henry Gould said...

Every time I write a poem, a strong wind starts blowing from the North & the paper flips right out from under my pen. If this has something to do with the gummint, by golly I'm gonna be rippin' mad.

I'm also looking forward to reading the essay, he said, sheepishly.