Friday, January 15, 2010

Poems on the moon!

Spanish poet's verses to go to the moon
By m.p., Jan 14, 2010 - 12:05 PM

The verses of the Orihuela poet, Miguel Hernández, are to be sent to the moon as part of the celebrations which are taking place this year to commemorate the 100th anniversary of his birth. It’s his book of poems, ‘Perito en Lunas’ – ‘Lunar Expert’ which is to make the trip, in a capsule to be sent to the moon by a U.S. company, Celestis, the EFE news agency reports.

The announcement was made on Wednesday at the presentation in Madrid of more than 500 events to be held in Orihuela, where Miguel Hernández was born on 30th October 1910, to celebrate his centenary. The presentation came on the 80th anniversary of the day the poet’s verses were first published in the press, in the 99th edition of the publication ‘Pueblo de Orihuela’.

Miguel Hernández fought on the Republican side during the Civil War and wrote his last poetry from prison, dying there from tuberculosis in March 1942.

I don't often put in a plug for myself, but... You can read my translations of Miguel Hernández (which were awarded the TLS Translation Prize, and the Premio Valle Inclán Prize from the UK Society of Authors) here.  For a few sample poems, click here.

1 comment:

equivocal said...

Fantastico! (Forgive me.) Hernandez on the moon! Great news. I so love "I have lots of heart", I clutch it close to me. Was just dreaming of it this morning.