Monday, April 26, 2010
On looking into Larry Eigner's poems
1) Uses the word "recession" in its old-fashioned sense, i.e., not economic
2) Death cries wolf throughout
3) Is the great American poet of weather, as Hopkins is the great English poet of weather(snow/rain/clouds/heat/wind (so much wind!)/lightning/showers/rainbow); is alert both day and night
4) (Closes parens more often than you think
5) What to do about typos in the ts.s?
6) So much sky: was he looking up?
7) So many birds and trees (leaves/branches): he was looking out
8) Did he love ice cream?
9) Attics, parked cars, beaches, sand, trees, trucks, hills, cats and dogs, radios, motors, flies, airplanes
10) Writes of books the way ekphrastic poets write about paintings
Labels: larry eigner