Thursday, December 2, 2010

Who is the Philip Guston of poetry?




In a new collection of Philip Guston's writings, lectures, and interviews (edited by Clark Coolidge), Guston quotes Picasso as saying that he, Léger, and Braque were more interested in painting than cubism, while Gleizes and Ozenfant were more interested in cubism than in painting.

The passage moves David Shapiro to comment:

Apply this to dogmatic poetics for the last thirty-five years or so. Who is the Guston of poetry -- believing in poetry more than dogmas about poetry?

*
A few PG quotes:

What bores me is to see an illustration of my thought. That would bore me. I want to make something I never saw before and be changed by it.

-

If someone bursts out laughing in front of my painting, that is exactly what I want and expect.

-

You know, talking about the sublime, I can read the advertising but I'm not a customer. I don't have to be sold.

-

Nobody chooses to be in a period.

1 comment:

Michael Schiavo said...

Not that this makes me the Philip Guston of poetry, but he does pop up in this range:

http://www.versedaily.org/2011/cypressgrove.shtml